Springhill

Monday, December 11, 2006

No.15 Library 2.0

I have worked for Yarra Plenty for more than 20 years.During that time I have seen many changes and three different C.E.O's in charge.When I started,the reference collection was of paramount importance.A vertical file was kept up to date for students and reference librarians received many enquiries,with an extended search available from H.Q.for more complicated issues. Gradually the emergence of information technology began to creep into the system.Then on a seeming tidal wave came the internet and many more computers .Suddenly there were more people sitting at these than standing in line to borrow books. While I can see the need for change in this new era within libraries,I can relate to the sentiments of Michael Stephens,a librarian blogger."Into a New World ofLibrarianship 2.0.Where will it take Libraries".He makes to me a very valid point that "The Library is Human',because it is a social and emotionally engaging centre for learning experiences.He believes that honest conversations

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home